Diabetic Foot Care
Podiatry (foot care) for people with diabetes is one of the most overlooked aspects of diabetes management. Higher levels of blood glucose can damage the nerve endings in many areas of the body and organs, which is why tight blood glucose control is an essential aspect of diabetes care.
Why podiatry is so essential to people with diabetes?
• Diabetes causes nerve damage known as peripheral neuropathy
• Diabetes affects the circulation, and poor circulation can affect how the body heals
• People with diabetes are more prone to infection
• Diabetes complications can also affect the feet
• Diabetes can affect the joints and make them stiffer
What happens with poor foot care?
A variety of foot problems can arise when poor foot care fails to catch issues at an early stage. These may include:
• Damage to the foot
• Foot ulcers
• Foot infections
• Charcot’s joints
View more information including costs click here